There are so many different paints for the kids that the stores sell, but who really knows what is inside of them? Now, I know they all list what they’re made of, but sometimes I don’t know if I really believe those labels or not. I have found something better than store paint; homemade paint, and its water color paint at that. The best thing about this is that parents don’t have to worry about their children accidently getting some paint in their mouth, because this paint is made out of ingredients that are found in your own kitchen. This idea is really great for the littler ones, but is highly recommended for any age really.
What You’ll Need
- Baking soda
- Corn syrup
- Spouted mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Ice cube trays
- Food coloring
- Popsicle sticks (or similar)
- Measure out 1 cup of baking soda and pour into mixing bowl
- Slowly, our ¾ cup of vinegar into mixing bowl (if you pour all at once it may bubble over) Kids love to watch and help with this part
- Once the vinegar has stopped bubbling, use your whisk to mix the baking soda and vinegar together
- Add 2 tablespoons of corn syrup to the mixture
- Add 1 cup of cornstarch
- Wisk the entire mixture until it is well combined
- Pour your mixture into the ice cube tray
- Using the tip of a popsicle stick, dip it into the food coloring of your choice
- Stir in the tip of the stick to an individual tray to add your color to the mix. (Don’t forget that you can mix the food coloring to make additional colors)
- Once you are finished making your colors, sit your tray somewhere out of reach to dry. This can take overnight and maybe even a few days to dry completely.
- Once they are dried you can use them just like the paints from the store, just add a little water to your brush, and paint
I love this idea for many reasons. The kids love to help make it and then they really enjoy putting it to use. As a parent, I felt reassured that if my daughter did get a little bit here or there where she shouldn’t, that it would wash out, and even more importantly, that she wasn’t putting any kind of toxins into her body that I didn’t know about.